Sooooooo. University is a thing. A busy thing. A thing that is kinda strange and new and exciting and all-consuming for the first month. I’ve worked on a few posts while I’ve been here, but haven’t been all that pleased with the final product, and haven’t been publishing them. Sorry about that. I hope this makes up for it?
5 Things I’m Glad I Brought With Me
- My plants. they really make the dorm feel more like home, and it’s been fun to name them with my friends. So far, each name is based on a different strange story we’ve had.
- Dish towels. I have a full kitchen, and god, have these been useful. Life is messy.
- Knick-knacks and photos. Because otherwise, your room is just a dorm. Most of these have a story behind them, so it’s a good way to make it feel a little more like home. Plus, the photos remind you to stay in touch with people.
- Reusable grocery bags. Because there’s no way in hell that those flimsy 5 cent bags will make the journey home when that overstuffed.
- Noise-cancelling headphones. The city doesn’t sleep, but you’ll want to. Put them on, flip the switch, and you’re good to go.
5 Things I Forgot to Bring
- A speaker. Seriously, nothing makes friends like music. People will flock to your room if they can hear your music. Plus, there’s no bonding experience quite like awkwardly dancing.
- Snack food. being the ~intelligent human~ that I am, I brought everything I could need to cook, but absolutely no snacks/actual food. oops?
- A shower curtain. Ours had mould spots. And was pretty grimy looking. Enough said. Take it down, put it in storage, and get a shower ~fancy curtain~ to give your bathroom a little more personality.
- Room lighting. Fairy lights, LEDs, desk lamps, whatever you want. That overhead light is just not going to do it for you. Especially at 2 am.
- An umbrella/raincoat. because classes don’t stop because it’s raining, no matter how far away they are, and there’s nothing quite like showing up to class looking like a drowned rat.
5 Things I Didn’t Really Need
- A twin XL sheet. After spending as much time as I did searching for the elusive twin XL sheet, I got to my dorm, went to make my bed, and realized that my sheet was too big. needless to say, I was not impressed. My room looks cute though.
- 3 pairs of heels. Maybe I’ll use them soon, maybe not. we’ll see. But right now, they’re just taking up space.
- That huge bag of pasta. If you didn’t eat a lot of something at home, chances are you won’t when you’re cooking for yourself. Especially with the constant reminder to not gain the freshmen 15.
- My backpack. Yeah, yeah I know; this probably isn’t the case for most. But because I tend to have space between my classes, I rarely carry my backpack, instead opting for my messenger bag. It weighs less, is easier to access my stuff, and keeps me from bringing all of my books everywhere(a bad habit).
- Fresh herbs. Fun fact: fresh herbs rot. And then they smell up your fridge. Just buy them as needed, or get the dried version.
Let me know your thoughts in the comments and what you would add to the lists!